"When a woman stays at home and cooks with good judgment and understanding, peace and happiness result. She thus controls the family's health and destiny, also her husband's mood, disposition and feeling, and assures the futures of her children." - Jaques DeLangre

Saturday, July 3, 2010

What A Wonderful Day!

I had such a fabulous afternoon at the first Happy In The Kitchen Class! It's such an amazing feeling to be surrounded by like-minded women. It boosted my spirits and gladdened my heart! Thank you SO much ladies for sharing the afternoon with me!

I'm going to spend the next week or so posting the recipes for the food we made and links for the articles and websites we talked about. First up is the recipe for Mexican Rice.

Step 1
Start your brown rice soaking 24 hours before you plan to make the dish. Put 2 cups of rice and a few TBLS of whey in a mason jar. Cover the rice with very warm water. (About 90 degrees) Twist a lid onto the jar tightly. Let the rice soak in a warm place for 24 hours. After 24 hours remove the lid and carefully pour off some of the soaking water. (Reserve this liquid in the fridge to use the next time you soak rice. This is now your culture and you won't need to add whey.) Pour the rice and any liquid remaining into a pan. Add about four cups of fresh water or stock to this. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer. Cover the pan with a lid and let the rice simmer for about 40 minutes. Check to see that the rice is soft and all the liquid had been absorbed. It might take a few tries to get this just right. Keep trying!

Step 2
Measure 4 cups cooked rice into a skillet. Add 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup of tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes. Heat this on med/high until the butter melts. Add 1 TBLS of each of the following: chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and Real Salt. Stir well. Cover the pan, reduce the heat a little, and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Serve this on fresh tortillas with cheese, beans, salsa, spicy dip and lettuce!

The recipe for the dough we used can be found here, or you can visit my friend Caralee's blog. She created this great recipe. You will love her blog!

I also found a blog that has the story of Jenny that I told you about. It is a little long, but worth the read! Please let me know what you think after you read it.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I just made the Mexican Rice over the holiday weekend, and it was sooooo good! (even thought I accidentally doubled the spice amounts! Oooops!) I haven't had much luck with the soaked dough or pancakes yet, but I will keep going. :D Thank you for the inspiration and help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the class. Thanks for hosting it and teaching me such wonderful principals. I have my yogurt straining now so I can get my whey! I am looking forward to the classes to come!

    ReplyDelete